Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sting Ray.

It has been a very ironic week.
Work has been going well, yet a bit inefficient. My supervisor's aspiring demands do not necessarily translate into admiringly efficient means. I have been doing inventory recording and photographing for the aspiring Ojala website, however, have been working with some wrong data and using the old label uninformed that there might be a new one soon (perhaps, maybe, no one knows). Used to such changes, lack of communication and guidance, I just fixed it up and began all anew. That's non-profit work in a less developed nation; prone to changes as the days go by, demanding a high level of patience and flexibility.
Additionally, the western-style worker in CA is demanding the submission of all my writings and photos without consideration that out of 5 trips planned, I am actually able to go to 2--either because they are all in villages far away taking half my day, or because the people have lives to live and mouths to feed and may not always be available to fit us into their day.
Balancing the different pulls is indeed a struggle that I am sure to overcome.

In the midst of a difficult week at work, I got a surprising phone call. Dave left me a message that him, Kate, Trev, Beau and Malissa (my crowd from the lagoon) will stay in Granada for a few days :))) I enjoyed their company once again; all 6 of us comprising quite the unique group. We met some locals, made some other foreign friends who would join for our nightly excursions, and had a great time. But all carelessness comes to an end, and I had the bad luck and lack of attention on my side. Dancing at the local club on the lake I had my purse stolen: camera, phone, money, credit cards... I was quite mad that I grew so trusting of the place we were at and put my guard down. The trouble of replacing items, and calling banks to ensure no further damage is as frustrating as ever. However, with the light of day I realized that the material will get replaced, the cards will get canceled, though the trust and comfort in my new hometown are not worth losing.

However, the twist of events and the goodbyes with my new crowd did bring down my spirits. I decided to skip work due to the lack of sleep and figure out my banking situation when I ran into the 5 leaving the bank before their departure. Fate. In less then 30 minutes I was convinced and packed for spending my weekend with them, out of town.

La Playa Popoyo, close to San Juan Del Sur, sounded like the secluded, quite paradise I needed to relax and forget last night's experience. The Pacific was cold, wavy, but perfect, and the hostel simple and comfortable. However, it wasn't long until Vera's newly erupting bad luck began to kick impatiently, and a sting ray answered its call. Walking in the water, I felt the bite on my foot. I got so dizzy as the poisonous toxins began to crawl up my leg, and my blood gushed out rapidly. Growing slowly unconscious and dizzy with the pain, Dave threw me across his shoulders and ran to the hostel where the staff hurried around to look at the damage. I don't really know how to describe this pain as it doesn't compare to anything i have ever felt. As the poison was crawling up, I was clenching my teeth and gripping at the table like an unhappy Hercules. One of the staff members knew best and said it load and clear to suppress my hopes: "A sting ray. Toxins are going in her blood. Put foot in boiling water. Pain will go on for a few hours. Then fine." That is when i threw a reckless glance at the Flor the Cana (a local rum) and didn't hesitate one bit. The pain indeed lasted for 2 full hours of cringing, biting my hand, muffling my screams, before it began to subside as i fell into drunken stupor on the hammock.

The night continued well as I rested by the bonfire, limped around, grateful the worst was over and hoping there will be no need for additional medical attention. I felt fine and grateful to have had people around me on whom I could count on and feel safe with.

We said our goodbyes this morning as Beau and Malissa headed toward Costa Rica, and Kat, Trev and Dave headed to Managua to get Dave on a plane for Alberta before continuing on just them two. I am back in Granada, back to my house, resting and hoping I will not need 4 times the amount of time to get to work in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment